Lower Village

Headstone Cutters

In one of the small stores at Wistaria Mr. C.C. Barfett carried on his occupation as Headstone Cutter.

On the opposite side of the road, where the public toilets now stand, was another Headstone Cutter, Mr. Robert Westaway.

Bradworthy Newsagents

Bromell's store was for many years a drapers and outfitters before it became a newsagency, when it was owned by Mr. W. Bromell & Sons.

The Post Office and the view up the road in the 1960's. The road had been dug up to lay the drainage

On Mr. Bromell's retirement it was purchased by Mr. G. Scott, who subsequently sold on to Mr. Rynd.

The newsagents was owned until 1994 by Mr. Phil Pickering, who sold it to Mr. Edward Brown. The newsagent closed in early 1996.

Derrick Bond's staff on his retirement in 1993.

Back row: A. Jenkins, E. Bond, D. Bond, D. Jennings.

Front row: M. Kinsman, T. Millman, J. Rowe, S. Kinsman, C. Glover

Post Office and Stores

The Post Office has always been in its present position.

First run by Mr. Westaway and then early in the century by his son-in-law Mr. J. Bray, when it was also an ironmongers.

In 1947 it was bought by Mr. Sam Bond and later taken over by his son Derrick Bond.

In 1993 it was sold.

Mr. Thomas Turner and his sons ran a Steam Roller business from Lower Terrace between the two wars. These were used over a wide area.

A 1925 Turner's steamroller with William Gorrell

In the early part of the century a boot repairer, Mr. Tom Bennett, lived in a small cottage on the Broad Hill.

Further along, in a house now demolished, Mr. Albert Bond was a tailor.

Mr. C. Barfett had a carpenters shop.

John Harding, who lived nearby, was a thatcher in earlier years.

Mr. Charles Cottle Barfett with his brother the Rev. John Barfett (Rector of St. Dinnis) in the 1920's

Flexbury Garage

Flexbury Garage, now owned by Mr. Nichols, was built about 1928 by Mr. John Bromell.

A few years later Mr. Tom Bartlett became a partner. For many years Messrs Bromell & Bartlet were well known as tractor & agricultural agents over a wide area.

Mr. Bromell later sold the business to North Cornwall Tractors of Kilkhampton and it was eventually sold to Mr. Nichols.


Opposite Flexbury garage was a store, now demolished, that belonged to the garage.

Most recently this was used as a hairdressers by Thelma Dover, who now operates from a studio at the rear of Eastways.

The building was also once a butchers shop and was used by Mr. Cecil Elvin as a tailor, radio repair etc., for which he was well known.

H.S. Ham traded near the Broad Hill in the early 1960's. Pictured are Pam, Ray, Laura and Horace Ham

Lavender Clockmakers

For many years the present Lavender Clockmakers shop, facing the Broad Hill, was a grocers shop owned by Mr. and Mrs. Ham and later by his son Raymond.

This was then sold and traded as a non-dispensing chemist in the late 1980's until it was purchased by Mr. R.W. 'Bob the Clock' Hudson who runs a watch, clock and jewellery repair business.

Lavender Clockmakers now occupies this corner of the 1920's Broad Hill

Lew House Nursery

Established by the Watkinsons in the mid 1980's, the nursery grows plants and shrubs for sale at local markets and to the wholesale trade. Since retired.

Colin Guard

Colin Guard has a lorry park at Lake. He sells and repairs many commercial vehicles. For many years he has run a successful haulage business.

Nigel Bond

Nigel Bond ran a successful mobile mechanical business from Lake in the 1990's before moving to North Road.

[ Back to top ]

Show me the
Home Page